The beginning of the year is always a good time to look at what you did well over the past year, and what you would like to do differently. For many, this means turning your thoughts to how you are promoting your company online.
If your online presence is lacking or your digital marketing strategy could use some work, there is no better time than the present to take a step back and make the changes necessary to find online success. On the other hand, maybe you’ve realized that you’ve made some mistakes over the last year that are holding you back from real content marketing success. It is no secret that marketing is an integral part of any business that wants to do well. Because of this, it is important to be aware of some of the top mistakes to avoid when it comes to a content strategy.
- Mistake #1. Making Spelling and Grammar Errors. When it comes to creating captivating content, grammar is key. Regardless of how great the content you create for business is, if there are any spelling or grammatical errors, you are in trouble. Glaring grammatical errors will not only distract the concentration of your reader, but they will make you appear untrustworthy and uninformed.
- Mistake #2. Creating a Narrow Range of Content. If you want your company to grow and be successful, it is important not to pigeonhole yourself when it comes to your online content. It is imperative that you create different types of content to connect with existing and potential customers. We suggest blogging regularly, create in-depth, relevant content, and having a strong social media presence.
- Mistake #3. Failing to Promote Content After You Create It. Simply creating content will only take you so far. You will need to promote it and amplify it in order for it to reach beyond the small group of people that are currently consuming it. The best way to do this? Social media and SEO. Find the right social media network for your content or find people or websites that are influential and willing to share it. The goal here is to reach a broader audience and create interest in your product or service.
- Mistake #4. Forgetting About SEO. It is critical to the success of your brand to make sure your website is optimized for search engines. If this is not done, people will have a much harder time finding you. SEO has become a science and an art, and any good SEO expert will tell you how important it is to your overall success.
- Mistake #5. Targeting Everybody Instead of a Specific Group. You must make sure your website appeals to your ideal client, not everybody. In order to do this, you must first identify the ideal client, then work on mapping the visitor experience and what the object of each visit is. In doing so, you will be far more likely to achieve your expected results.
Having a smart content marketing plan in place is crucial, as is knowing and avoiding the mistakes others have made with their content marketing strategy. As an Arlington digital marketing agency, we have made it our job to educate local businesses about what not to do when it comes to online marketing. As always, feel free to contact us if you have any questions or would like to set up a consultation with one of our knowledgeable experts today.